KarvaChauth is one of the major festivals for the Indians, especially for married Indian Women. According to Hindu Calander, this festival comes in the month of Kartik. It is a festival where Indian women keep a fast from morning to evening for the safety and longevity of their husbands’ lives. This is a nirjala vrat or fasts where women cannot have food & water until they see the moon.
Importance Of Sargi
KarvaChauth starts with a Sargi, or you can say it is incomplete without it. Sargi is a pre-dawn meal given by a mother-in-law to her daughter-in-law as a blessing on this special occasion. Ideally, a Sargi includes a thali that contains sweets, matthri, dry fruits, coconut and some gifts like new clothes (suits or sarees), jewellery, etc.
There is a tradition to eat Sargi in the morning before the sun rises. So, women usually wake up at 4-5 am in the morning and eat some sweet and savouries to keep going throughout the day without eating or drinking anything.
How To Eat Healthy During Karva Chauth
Before Sunrise (Sargi Time)
As you will not going to eat anything for the whole day, so it is necessary to eat something healthy in Sargi to avoid acidity or constipation. Here are some healthy eating tips you can follow:
- Firstly, drink some coconut water
- Avoid tea as if you drink tea on an empty stomach, it can increase acidity. You can have green tea.
- Avoid too many sugary foods as it will make you hungry later on. For Shagun, you can take Meethi Sewai, or you have other options like dates, figs, etc.
- Eat some homemade cheese or curd it will keep you full for a longer time.
- Avoid paranthas or poori, eat plain chapatti
- Eat some dry fruits like almonds, cashews, etc. for energy
- You can eat some fruits also.
For Breaking The Fast
- After sighting the moon, drink a glass full of water or fresh fruit juice.
- Remember not to overeat oily food by whole day fasting body acid level becomes high.
- Your dinner meal should include with meals including proteins and carbohydrates. You can eat chapattis, vegetables, dal, paneer items, and many more healthy dishes.
- Eat some ice-cream, dark chocolate, etc
- Sip a glass of lemon water after dinner for better digestion of food.
Important Points To Remember
- Add some healthy foods to Sargi as it will keep you full and energized for the whole day
- Avoid using oily foods to Sargi as it will make you lazy for the entire day
- Stay hydrated by adding healthy fluids to the Sargi such as fruit juices, buttermilk, coconut water, green tea, and shakes, etc. Do not drink tea or coffee in the morning as it can dehydrate the body.
- Invite some friend or relative to your home on this special occasion as it is the best way to not think about food.
We wish that this KarvaChauth may bring more happiness, harmony, understanding, and love into your married life. Wish you all a blessed and happy Karva Chauth!!!